Data Obsessed

The weblog of an almost-librarian interested in special, corporate, and government librarianship, with occasional forays into technology and anime-related geekiness.

Thursday, September 23, 2004

Vampire Queen Versus Amazon sounds like a bad B movie

Anne Rice once again demonstrates that her ego continues to be roughly the size of the North American continent.

I find it more amusing - hilarious, really - than anything else, particularly as Ms. Rice brings to mind several amateur writers I have known in the past few years. It's rather sad that after more than twenty years as a professional writer, Anne Rice has either lost or never developed the ability to swallow criticism and move on. That was a skill that I was careful to develop before I ever started to post any writing in internet forums, and it should be the first rule that any writer/creator/artist should accept: if you post your work in a public forum, then you open yourself up to criticism, and that is a consequence you need to deal with. Period.

Having said that, the best parts of this whole thing come from Neil Gaiman. My favorite bits:

I suspect that most authors don't really want criticism, not even constructive criticism. They want straight-out, unabashed, unashamed, fulsome, informed, naked praise, arriving by the shipload every fifteen minutes or so.

and

I think Anne Rice going on Amazon and lambasting her critics was undoubtedly a very brave and satisfying thing for her to do, was every bit as sensible as kicking a tar baby, and, if ever I do something like that, please shoot me.

The first is so clearly true, and the second makes me laugh out loud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home