Data Obsessed

The weblog of an almost-librarian interested in special, corporate, and government librarianship, with occasional forays into technology and anime-related geekiness.

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

"Meal Interrupted"; Or, The Real Reason Your Waiter Interrupts Your Meal Just as You Are Getting into It

So, I was reading the online version of the Chicago Tribune this evening, and had to laugh at this, and not only because Emily Green has an amusing tone - also because I've been in the waitress's position before.

I've never worked in a restaurant and never want to work in a restaurant, which is part of the reason I'm here in graduate school. (newsflash: Amanda did not wake up one morning having experienced a career epiphany. Amanda woke up and went 'well, librarianship has to be better than this') However, I spent one lovely year in the purgatory that is retail, which included countless seminars on "customer service."

Armed with that information, I can safely tell you that, yes, there is a corporate conspiracy to interrupt your dinner. The corporate types think that this constitutes quality service, and it thus gets drummed into the waitstaff's heads by their managers, who in turn have had it drummed into their heads by their managers.

As for why they never approach when you genuinely need them? Deal with enough extremely rude, irate customers, and I'm sure it'll be easy to discern the reason why.

Welcome to the service industry. I do hope you'll enjoy your stay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home